Sir edwin henry landseer,R.A.
Painter, draughtsman, sculptor and etcher, brother of (3) Charles Landseer. He became the best-known member of the family and was one of the most highly respected and popular British painters of the 19th century. He was first trained by his father, who taught him etching, and he then studied with Benjamin Robert Haydon and at the Royal Academy Schools in London. Precociously gifted, he drew competently from childhood and in 1813 he won the Silver Palette for draughtsmanship at the Society of Arts. In 1815 he exhibited at the Royal Academy for the first time, showing some drawings of a mule and of the heads of dogs. From an early age he was a frequent visitor to the menagerie in Exeter Change in the Strand, London, Related Paintings of Sir edwin henry landseer,R.A. :. | Windsor Castle in Modern Times, 1840-43 This painting shows Queen Victoria and Prince Albert at home at Windsor Castle in Berkshire, England. | A Distinguished Member of the Humane Society | The wild cattle of Chillingham, 1867 | Monarch of the Glen by Sir Edwin Landseer | Lady Blessingham's Dog |
Related Artists:Jacques-Louis David
b.Aug. 30, 1748, Paris
d.Dec. 29, 1825, Brussels
Jacques-Louis David is famous for his huge, dramatic canvasses of Napoleon and other historical figures, including Oath of the Horatii (1784), Death of Marat (1793) and The Sabine Women (1799). Early in his career he was a leader in the neoclassical movement; later his subjects became more modern and political. David was himself active in the French Revolution as a supporter of Robespierre and is sometimes called the chief propagandist for the Revolution; after the Reign of Terror ended he was briefly imprisoned for his actions. When Napoleon took power David became his court painter and created several grand canvasses of the Emperor, including the heroic Napoleon Bonaparte Crossing the Alps (1801) and the enormous Coronation of Napoleon and Josephine (1807). David also painted Napoleon in His Study (1812), with its famous image of Napoleon with one hand tucked inside his vest. After Napoleon ouster David went in exile to Brussels, where he remained until his 1825 deathAntoine louis barye
French Romantic Sculptor and Painter, ca.1795-1875, He was a French sculptor most famous for his work as an animalier. Born in Paris, Barye began his career as a goldsmith, like many sculptors of the Romantic Period. After studying under sculptor Francois-Joseph Bosio and painter Baron Antoine-Jean Gros he was in 1818 admitted to the Ecole des Beaux Arts. But it was not until 1823, while working for Fauconnier, the goldsmith, that he discovered his true predilection from watching the wild beasts in the Jardin des Plantes, making vigorous studies of them in pencil drawings comparable to those of Delacroix, then modelling them in sculpture on a large or small scale. In 1831 he exhibited his "Tiger devouring a Crocodile", and in 1832 had mastered a style of his own in the "Lion and Snake." Thenceforward Barye, though engaged in a perpetual struggle with want, exhibited year after year these studies of animals--admirable groups which reveal him as inspired by a spirit of true romance and a feeling for the beauty of the antique, as in "Theseus and the Minotaur" (1847), "Lapitha and Centaur" (1848), Franciszek Smuglewicz
(October 6, 1745 - September 18, 1807) was a Polish-Lithuanian draughtsman and painter. Smuglevičius is considered as a progenitor of Lithuanian art in the modern era.Some scholars consider him as a spiritual father of Jan Matejko's school of painting.. His brother was Antoni Smuglewicz.
Smuglewicz was born in Warsaw into a Polish-Lithuanian familyHis father, Łukasz Smuglewicz, also a painter, had moved to Warsaw from the province of Samogitia. In 1763 Franciszek journeyed to Rome, where he began the study of fine arts under the tutorship of Anton von Maron. He stayed in Rome for the next 21 years, where he embraced the Neo-Classical style.
In 1765 he received a royal scholarship from king Stanisław August Poniatowski and was admitted into the Saint Lucas Academy. As a colleague of Vincenzo Brenna he participated in cataloging artifacts from Nero`s Domus Aurea. In 1784 he returned to Warsaw, where he founded his own school of fine arts, one of the predecessors of the modern Academy of Fine Arts.