Maarten van Heemskerck
(1498 - 1 October 1574) was a Dutch portrait and religious painter, known for his depictions of the Seven Wonders of the World.
He was born at Heemskerk, North Holland, halfway between Alkmaar and Haarlem.
His father was a small farmer, Jacob Willemsz. van Veen (whose portrait he painted). According to his biography, written by Karel van Mander, he was apprenticed to Cornelis Willemsz in Haarlem. Recalled after a time to the paternal homestead and put to the plough or the milking of cows, young Heemskerk took the first opportunity that offered to run away, and demonstrated his wish to leave home for ever by walking in a single day the 80 km which separate his native hamlet from the town of Delft. There he studied under Jan Lucasz whom he soon deserted for his contemporary Jan van Scorel of Haarlem. Even today, many of Heemskerck's paintings are mistaken for work by van Scorel. He boarded at the home of the wealthy Pieter Jan Foppesz (the van Mander spelling is Pieter Ian Fopsen), curate of the Sint-Bavokerk. He knew him because he owned a lot of land in Heemskerck. This is the same man whom he painted in a now famous family portrait, considered the first of its kind in a long line of Dutch family paintings.
Related Paintings of Maarten van Heemskerck :. | The Man of Sorrows | Triptych | Crucifixion | Triumphzug des Bacchus | Crucifixion |
Related Artists:Sebastian Stosskopff
(Paris, 1616 - The Hague, 1695) was a French art painter.
Henri Testelin made portraits of Louis XIV, important persons and events at the French court . Several of his paintings can be seen in the palace of Versailles. The portraits, like the one of the young Louis XIV, show the influence of Jean Nocret and Le Brun.
He was secretary of Royal Academy of Painting and Sculpture from 1650 and professor from 1656. In 1680 he published a book on art theory and the academy. Testelin was dismissed from the Academy in 1681, because he was proptestant. He left France and went to Holland.
Italian painter, Venetian school (b. ca. 1440, Venezia, d. 1501/2, Venezia)