Jan Van Eyck
Jan Van Eyck Locations
Painter and illuminator, brother of Hubert van Eyck.
According to a 16th-century Ghent tradition, represented by van Vaernewijck and Lucas d Heere, Jan trained with his brother Hubert. Pietro Summonte assertion (1524) that he began work as an illuminator is supported by the fine technique and small scale of most of Jan works, by manuscript precedents for certain of his motifs, and by his payment in 1439 for initials in a book (untraced) for Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. Jan is first documented in The Hague in August 1422 as an established artist with an assistant and the title of Master, working for John III, Count of Holland (John of Bavaria; reg 1419-25), who evidently discovered the artist while he was bishop (1389-1417) of the principality of Liege. Jan became the court official painter and was paid, with a second assistant when the work increased in 1423, continuously, probably until the count death in January 1425. Related Paintings of Jan Van Eyck :. | The Ghent altaarstuck | Madonna of chancellor Rolin | Portrait of Giovanni Arnolfini and his Wife | Untitled, known in English as The Arnolfini Portrait, The Arnolfini Wedding, The Arnolfini Marriage, The Arnolfini Double Portrait, or Portrait of Gio | The Arnolfini Marriage |
Related Artists:Ludwig Vogel
(1788-1879) was a Swiss painter.
This article was initially translated from the German Wikipedia.William Williams
English-born American Colonial Era Painter, 1727-1791
was an American painter. He was born in Caerphilly, Wales. He began residing in Philadelphia around 1747 and afterwards in New York City before returning to England about 1780, where he died in Bristol Karl Pavlovic Brullow