Jan Van Eyck
Jan Van Eyck Locations
Painter and illuminator, brother of Hubert van Eyck.
According to a 16th-century Ghent tradition, represented by van Vaernewijck and Lucas d Heere, Jan trained with his brother Hubert. Pietro Summonte assertion (1524) that he began work as an illuminator is supported by the fine technique and small scale of most of Jan works, by manuscript precedents for certain of his motifs, and by his payment in 1439 for initials in a book (untraced) for Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. Jan is first documented in The Hague in August 1422 as an established artist with an assistant and the title of Master, working for John III, Count of Holland (John of Bavaria; reg 1419-25), who evidently discovered the artist while he was bishop (1389-1417) of the principality of Liege. Jan became the court official painter and was paid, with a second assistant when the work increased in 1423, continuously, probably until the count death in January 1425. Related Paintings of Jan Van Eyck :. | Madonna with the Child Reading | Portrait of Cardinal Niccolo Albergati | Crucifixion ofChrist | Giovanni Arnolfini (mk45) | Origins of the Portrait |
Related Artists:LIEFERINXE, Josse
French painter, Provençal school (active 1493-1508 in Marseille)
South Netherlandish painter, active in France. A native of Hainaut, in the diocese of Cambrai, he may have come from Lieferinge near Enghien (Claessens). He is documented in Marseille and Aix-en-Provence from 1493 to 1505, often being described as a 'Picard painter'. In 1503 he married Michelle, one of the daughters of Jean Changenet, the most prominent painter of the time in Avignon, with whom he may have trained. The last great representative of the 'School of Avignon',Joris van der Haagen
(ca. 1615 - The Hague, 23 May 1669 (buried)) was a Dutch Golden Age painter specialized in landscapes.
It is unclear where Joris van der Haagen was born, either in Arnhem or Dordrecht, but archival evidence shows that he started his drawing career in Arnhem. He probably learned to paint from his father, the painter Abraham van der Haagen. When his father died he moved in 1639 to the Hague, where he joined the Guild of St. Luke in 1643. A year later he became honorary citizen of The Hague. In 1656 he was one of the founding members of the Confrerie Pictura, which was located on the Princessegracht in the Hague. The painting he made of the Princessegracht at this time probably shows the original building, which has since been renovated beyond recognition.